How to Pick the Perfect Houseplants
When it comes to picking the perfect houseplants, you have a lot of options these days. But there are some plants that will do better in your home than others. Before making your decision there’s some things to consider. First, do you want a plant that needs more light or less? A cactus is perfect if you want something low maintenance because they need little water and don't require much sunlight but can you provide the light it requires? If you're looking for a houseplant that will really thrive in your home, then choose carefully.
Here are some more questions you might want to ask yourself before choosing which one is best for you. Are they a good match for my room aesthetic? Do they need lots of sunlight? Will they need lots of maintenance, especially with watering? These questions all help determine what plant would be best for your space and lifestyle!
Now that we’ve got you thinking, here’s some more tips on how to pick the perfect houseplants for your lovely home:
- Pay attention to the size of your space where you want to place your plant. Your new houseplant should ideally take up a good amount of space but not be too overbearing. You want to put some balance into the room.
- Pick plants that are easy to care for, such as succulents or cacti (if you have a good spot with excellent sunlight) or ZZ plant (which is almost un-killable if you know basic plant care). There’s lots of indoor plants that are easy to care for and low maintenance. If you choose a difficult plant that requires frequent watering, misting for humidity or temperature regulation, that can be more trouble than it’s worth.
- Don't forget about adding a little colour! There are lots of indoor plants with coloured awesome foliage such as Philodendron cordatum neon, Peperomia clusiifolia Tricolour and Tradescantia fluminensis. Colourful indoor plants will add a lot of personality to your room.
- Choose plants with interesting leaf shapes, such as variegated Devil’s Ivy, Monstera adansonii Mini Monkey Mask, Peperomia String of Turtles or Monstera deliciosa. These will make a bold statement as a home décor piece for your room.
- Make sure you have enough sunlight in the room before choosing any plants at all. Choose a plant that matches the sunlight levels you can provide, otherwise they won’t thrive and eventually won’t survive at all.
- If you’ve already picked out plant pots, try to visualise how your plants will grow in them. Do you want something that grows thick and bushy or one that grows tall and branches out high and across? There’s different types of indoor plants suited to different plant pots and positionings.
Really though, there is no perfect houseplant. There’s only houseplants that you think are right for you at the time. Our advice is to go with your gut and choose the houseplants you’ve always wanted but ultimately consider whether you can take care of it properly. Everyone can take care of a plant properly, so just put in the time and it’ll become second nature to you in no time. If you're looking for houseplants as a gift for someone, check out our plant gift boxes.