How to Choose the Best Grow Lights for your Indoor Plants
If you have seen indoor plants that are growing under artificial lights, then there is a good chance that those are purpose-made grow lights for indoor plants. Grow lights are used for all types of indoor plants because they provide the light needed to simulate the sun's rays for photosynthesis in an unnatural environment aka indoors. Growing indoor plants with grow lights is a new and increasingly popular trend amongst those in the plant hobby. There are many different types of grow lights in today's market that you can choose from.
Using grow lights to grow indoor plants is easy, but there is a lot to consider when choosing your perfect light. Grow lights are available in a range of sizes, shapes, wattages and price ranges. Whether you want to start a windowsill herb garden, indoor vegetable garden or tropical indoor plant jungle, your lighting must be chosen wisely to ensure your plants are happy and healthy.
Benefits of Using Grow Lights for Indoor Plants
Grow lights are an increasingly popular equipment for the indoor growing of plants. There are many advantages to using grow lights:
- Many people are under the assumption that because it might be a bit expensive to invest in grow lights that they will not find it beneficial. This could not be any further from the truth and as they say, you get what you pay for, and if you want a productive indoor garden then investing in good quality grow lights is essential.
- Grow lights serve as an artificial source of light for plants. They can be used to raise small and delicate plants, which would otherwise fail to grow, in places like the house or yard that are not exposed directly to the sunlight. Indoor plant enthusiasts can make use of grow lights to keep their indoor jungle looking nice and healthy.
- Indoor plants require the right kind of light to grow properly. Grow lights have been designed to emit the spectra of light plants require to live and thrive. Grow lights can be used by indoor plant growers both in an event where plants are in their dormant stage as well as during the growing seasons.
- Indoor plants make our homes much more alive, clean, and healthy. However, most of us are so busy with our daily routine that we can't keep up with the maintenance of these little beauties, especially if the plants need to be moved around to chase the sunlight. That is why the idea of grow lights came into play.
- Growing houseplants indoors allows you to keep potted plants in any room in your home. Some plants grow faster with the proper exposure to ultraviolet light, also known as UV light or sunlight. Grow lights simulate the sun's rays so that your plants never have a shortage of UV light. Low light indoor plants don't need grow lights, but there are plenty of plants that sure do.
Different Types of Grow Lights for Indoor Plants
First of all, one must consider what sort of plant they want to be growing. Plants have different categories they fall under and each category needs slightly different care. You should not just buy a set of grow lights for indoor plants and expect to keep any plant alive under them because not all needs will be met. Some plants need more light than others. Grow lights are a necessity for indoor planting and hydroponics if you are stuck with low light conditions or want to optimise plant growth in addition to using fertiliser. There are different types of grow lights for various situations:
- HPS type high-pressure sodium grow lights,
- MH type metal halide lights
- Fluorescent lights
- LED lights
- Ceramic metal halide lights
- Plasma Grow Lights which are full-spectrum grow lights and the newest type of grow lights at the moment